Forgot windows 7 Administrator password? You can login from the following solution.
- Use a any Linux live CD. For example from : http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options
- Boot your computer from the CD.
- Make two folders into your non-system drive i.e. D or E
- newfile (which means D:\newfile or E:\newfile)
- originalfile (which means D:\originalfile or E:\originalfile)
- Now go to C:\Windows\System32 folder.
- Copy cmd.exe and paste it on newfile folder which you have created
- Rename cmd.exe to sethc.exe
- Again go to C:\Windows\System32 folder.
- copy sethc.exe and paste it originalfile folder which you have created
- Copy the new sethc.exe file from newfile folder that you make it early and paste it on C:\Windows\System32, It will ask you confirmation for overwriting file. Click on Yes and shut down the system.
- Boot your system after removing live cd from the drive. Now on your Windows login screen, press Shift key 5 times you will get command prompt
- Type “net user”, it will show all users list.
Now type “net user administrator newpassword” without quotes where “newpassword” can be any password of your desire and administrator is user account name.
For changing password for any other use you can use the same command
net user [username] [newpassword]
Where your [username] is the login user name and [newpassword] is your desired password.
for e.g. if your username is javadotnet and you want to use password 1234 then syntax would be
net user javadotnet 1234
- Restart your system and login with new password.
- Copy the sethc.exe from originalfile folder and paste it on C:\Windows\System32, It will ask you confirmation for overwriting file. Click on Yes and Restart the system.
- Your windows 7 will work as it was working before.
Note : Please comment if you try this article. It’ll help me and other users to execute above set of syntax.